hanmadang-06030.jpg

 The U.S. Taekwondo Committee proudly hosted the 10th Annual U.S. Open International Taekwondo Hanmadang at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA from July 27-28, 2018.

After 3 successful years of holding this event in Chicago, the following years the event moved to Colorado Springs and Denver where in 1992, the first ever U.S. Open International Taekwondo Championship was created. The U.S. Open International Taekwondo Hanmadang is expected to host over 1,300 participants from all over the world. The most famous Taekwondo practitioners from China, Taiwan, Korea, as well as European and Pan American countries will be represented, and a world famous Taekwondo Demonstration Team will perform at the Opening Ceremonies.

Taekwondo sparring is very well known as an Olympic sport. However, because of the high skill level and physical conditioning needed to be successful at sparring, the average Taekwondo School in the United States only has approximately 10% of the student body participating in sparring class and competitions. The U.S. Open International Taekwondo Hanmadang events are for the other 90% of Taekwondo students who do not participate in sparring. The U.S. Open International Taekwondo Hanmadang offers the opportunity for the 90% to showcase their skills in traditional forms, creative forms, creative board breaking, power breaking, and demonstration team events.

Additionally, parents, grandparents, children, uncles and aunts can create teams and participate together. This unique ability for families to participate together is one that draws such strong participation numbers. George Purnia from Colorado Springs said, β€œThe award certificate that my grandsons will receive for placing in the top 3 at the Hanmadang will be a valuable addition to their college applications.”

During the previous U.S. Open International Taekwondo Hanmadangs in Chicago, many school owners were hesitant because they did not understand what the Hanmadang events were. However, after seeing the Hanmadang in person, they were excited to see that the events are the same events they are already teaching their students in class. Additionally, the U.S. Open International Taekwondo Hanmadang will help build team spirit and unity in their school.