hanmadang-05760.jpg

The California

State Hanmadang

Although the Hanmadang was initially established as a Taekwondo festival, the majority of the events can be performed by any style martial artists. In order to provide an opportunity for all martial art schools and styles to participate, we have opened up the California State Hanmadang to everyone who practices traditional martial arts.

It is in this spirit that the California State Hanmadang provides a unique competition experience for all martial arts students.  It gives the true majority of students a venue to showcase and test their skills in a plethora of events within Poomsae (forms), Kyukpa (breaking) and Demonstration Team exhibition.

Taekwondo sparring is very well known as an Olympic sport. However, because of the high skill level and physical conditioning needed to be successful at sparring, the average Taekwondo School in the United States only has about 10% of their student body participating in sparring class and competitions. This usually also applies to the other martial arts as well. The California State Hanmadang caters to the other 90% of students who do not wish to participate in competitions due to the rigors of competition sparring. Participants have an opportunity to showcase their skills in traditional forms, creative forms, creative board breaking, power breaking, and demonstration team events!

The California State Hanmadang follows the guidelines, procedures and systems of the world renowned U.S. Open Taekwondo Hanmadang, which is hosted every year by the United States Taekwondo Committee in Colorado Springs, CO.  You are assured of an efficient, well organized and professional championship for an incredible experience.

Congratulations in becoming part of history, as you will be participating in the very first Official State Championship Hanmadang in California!

We are very proud to announce the inclusion of all martial art styles and welcome them to participate in California and at the 11th U.S. Open Hanmadang in Colorado Springs at the Broadmoor World Arena from July 25th-27th, 2019!

Cash Prizes will be awarded to the “Top 3” Demo Teams! 1st place will be awarded $500, 2nd place will be awarded $350 and 3rd place will be awarded $150!!!

We’ll see you at the California State Hanmadang!

-Johnny CW Kang

US Taekwondo Committee

California State President